"The one-dollar avgas event at the Redbird Skyport has a lot of goals and one of them is to make sure that we can handle the additional demand," says Jeff Van West, spokesman for Redbird Skyport. "Among the worst things that could happen would be running out of fuel before the next fuel delivery can arrive. We've received an overwhelming number of calls and questions about the terms and conditions of a sale like this. There aren't many, but there are a few, so we thought we ought to address some of the most commonly asked questions ahead of the event."
• The purpose of this experiment is to study the effect that fuel price has on flying activity as well as understand how fuel price factors into the complete cost picture.
• The offer is open to any piston-powered GA aircraft that can fly into San Marcos Municipal Airport under its own power. Only the regular tanks in the aircraft will be filled.
• To maintain a reliable supply for everyone and keep delays to a minimum, the fueling limit is 200 gallons per aircraft per day. Aircraft requiring more than 200 gallons may purchase that additional amount at the regular price. We won't fuel aircraft that we believe are violating the spirit of the experiment.
• The $1 price is valid for the entire month of October during normal operating hours, 6am to 10pm.
• There may be lines to get gas. If you expect to be in a hurry, we recommend you pre-register on the website or by calling us at (512) 878-6670.
• San Marcos Airport is a former military training airport and has acres of ramp space, so space for waiting or parking overnight is not a problem.
• Data collected from pilots during the month will be aggregated before publication. Absolutely no individual personal information will be shared.
About Redbird Skyport™, Inc.
Redbird Skyport is a multi-purpose general aviation services center at San Marcos Municipal Airport (KHYI) that functions as a research and development laboratory. Conveniently located between Austin and San Antonio, Redbird Skyport has a flight school nationally recognized for its innovative training techniques as well as a full-service FBO known for world-class service and support. Conference and special events facilities are also available.